Embedded Pay-As-You-Go technology that makes high-quality life-changing products solar energy solutions immediately affordable to last-mile consumers in emerging markets.
Product Area: Off-grid energy access and financing technology
Big Idea: A Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) technology platform that makes high-quality life-changing products like solar energy, water pumps, clean cookstoves, and more affordable to last-mile consumers in emerging markets.
Project Launched: Started in 2009 Extreme class; company launched June 2010
- Angaza is a truly global organization, partnering with businesses in over 50 countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
- Business-to-business licensing model allows Angaza-powered products to cover a spectrum of over 30life-changing products from entry-level solar lamps, full solar home systems, solar water pumps,clean cookstoves, and other household appliances.
- Angaza has helped consumers in emerging markets save over $100 million by switching from kerosene to clean, renewable energy.
- Businesses using Angaza’s technology see a 5-fold increase in sales, and up to an 8-fold increase in revenue.
- Core product development is based in San Francisco, and field operations and sales in Nairobi, Kenya.
Management: Lesley Marincola, Victoria Arch, and Bryan Silverthorn
Angaza removes the upfront price barrier of life-changing products, like solar home systems, water pumps, clean cookstoves, and more, by enabling last-mile consumers in emerging markets to pre-pay for energy and other products in affordable amounts spread over time. Through our B2B technology licensing model, Angaza provides embedded data transfer technologies and a cloud-based analytics software platform that allows manufacturers and distributors to finance life-changing products with a Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) pricing model. Additionally, Angaza leverages usage and diagnostic data collected from every PAYG unit sold to lower after-sales support costs and present customer credit risk ratings.
We partner with a number of manufacturing customers who actively license Angaza’s PAYG technology.. We work with solar products ranging from solar study lights to solar home systems, as well as clean cookstoves,solar water pumps, and other household appliances. Angaza offers a product portfolio of 30+ life-changing products, providing our 150+ distribution partners more choice of products than any Pay-As-You-Go provider on the market. Our partners currently sell in over 50 countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America.